Volunteer with us!
Head Start is FREE. However, we ask parents and the community to “pay” by contributing their time and talents. The donation of your time and talents helps us provide essential services throughout the year while helping us meet our non-federal in-kind match of 25% of the federal funding. Here are some ways you can serve:
Work with the Education team to:
- Assist teachers in or out of the classroom
- Read to children as a group or individually
- Work with children on classroom projects
- Chaperone during field trips
- Present to classrooms about your culture, job, or areas of expertise
Work with our Family Services team to:
- Recruit children and families to the program
- Recruit other volunteers
- Participate on the Classroom and Policy Committees
- Speak about Head Start to the community
- Train/present on various topics
Work with the Health and Nutrition team to:
- Serve on the Health Services Advisory Committee
- Assist with meal preparation
- Assist with health screenings, ie: height, weight, dental and vision
Work with the Health and Safety team to:
- Renovate and decorate the Head Start center
- Assist with Landscaping and yard work
- Clean and maintain classrooms and facility
- Observe the environment for safety
- Conduct playground sweeps
- Check and replenish first aid kits
Work with the Administrative team to:
- Monitor the front desk; ie: greet guests, answer incoming calls, mail, etc.
- Provide clerical support; ie: filing, typing, data entry, etc.
- Provide technical expertise, ie: creating charts & graphs, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Research and write information for publication, ie: newsletter, website, Flyers, etc.
- Help plan and organize special events, trainings, meetings, etc.
- Participate in annual program self-assessment and community assessment.
For more information, contact one of our programs (See Directory of Baltimore City Head Start Programs) and apply (Volunteer Application).
File(s) available on this page for download requires special software to view. If you do not have that software, you can obtain it from the following source(s):
Portable Document Format (PDF): https://get.adobe.com/reader/