To apply for enrollment in the Baltimore City Head Start Program, contact the program nearest to your address. (See Directory of Baltimore City Head Start Programs) The program will walk you through its application process (Click here to download a BCHS application form) and ask you to provide the following items:
Proof of Age:
- Head Start serves children between 3 and 5 years old
- Bring documents to show proof of age, such as birth Certificate, passport, immunization record, etc.
- Social Security is not required
Proof of Income:
- Head Start follows the current Federal Poverty Guidelines.
2016 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
|Persons in family/household||Poverty Guidelines|
|For families/households with more than eight persons, add $4,160 for each additional person.|
- Income includes wages before deductions and income earned through self-employment, TANF (Temporary Aid for Needy Families) or SSI (Supplemental Security Income), Social Security benefits, unemployment benefits, pensions, scholarships and lottery earnings. Bring documentation showing receipt of these.
- Children in foster care or kinship care and children who are homeless are automatically eligible for Head Start services.
- Over-income families may apply. By law, 10 percent of children participating in Head Start may come from over income households.
Proof of Special Needs:
- At least 10% of the slots in a Head Start must be made available to children with special needs/diagnosed disabilities.
- Inform the program to which you are applying if your child is considered special-needs.
- Provide IEP or IFSP
Proof of Address:
- Families must be Baltimore City Residents.
Children are enrolled based on a selection system that ranks families by need. Each program has additional criteria for selection, so everyone is encouraged to apply.
File(s) available on this page for download requires special software to view. If you do not have that software, you can obtain it from the following source(s):
Portable Document Format (PDF): https://get.adobe.com/reader/